That's right ... quick and dirty. I based the dress loosely on another doll dress my kids have (and yes, I made that doll for my daughter a few years ago - my first attempt at a Waldorf-style doll). My daughter made the fabric choice and decision for a dress with bodice.
I took out some pattern tracing fabric and laid it over the naked doll and sketched the rough dimensions of the front bodice and back two bodice pieces. I guesstimated the skirt dimensions and added 1/4 inch seam allowance to everything.
In piecing it together, I opted to use my rolled-hem foot to finish all the edges. And for closures on the back, I used snaps.
I surprised myself with how easy it was. And because the fabrics my daughter chose were scraps from circle-skirts I made here, it ended up being a "matching" outfit for the doll!
This whole process inspired my daughter to come up with ideas for further clothing items for "Finn" (her doll).
As you can see, she wants a bedtime outfit collection as well as more daytime clothes. I'm happy to obligue and hope to use it as a chance to teach her a bit more about sewing on the machine. I'll be sure to share the results here!